Sunday, January 11, 2009

Howdy

So, I guess I have a slight Texan twang for certain words. Most people don't notice, but every once in a while, someone will comment on my pronunciation or wording.
Par example:
Everyone Else: green beans
Me: green BEANS (This is true of any type of beans as long as the first word is only one syllable. I don't think I stress the beans so much when I say kidney beans. Then, it's KIDney beans. Maybe this isn't Texan so much as just a bit of sass which is usually attributed to being raised in the South instead of these Yanks I'm surrounded by who pronounce everything correctly, of course.)
Everyone Else: you, you guys, etc.
Me: y'all (Sorry, I stand by it. It's a perfectly acceptable contraction of "you all". Use it. Love it.)
Everyone Else: Aunt, pronounced like it's spelled
Me: Aunt, pronounced like ant (I just can't make myself say Aunt. It feels wrong in my mouth.)
Everyone Else: Texan
Me: Texin :)
and, of course ...
Everyone Else: Husband, pronounced Huzbund.
Me: Husband, pronounced Huzbind.
The other night, I was sleepy and talking nonsense. I said to le husband, "how do you spell huzbind?" And he answered, "H U Z B I N D". I smiled and drifted off to happy sleep. It still makes me smile.

No comments: