Sunday, December 28, 2008

Tortilla Espanola

disclaimer: I don't know how to insert a tilda over the n, so you'll just have to forgive me. Thank you.
Despite having a cold, I've been into cooking this weekend. Usually, I try to focus on one main meal for the weekend's cooking accomplishments, but somehow I've managed to be adventurous in between the sniffles and coughs and hazy fevers. I especially like it when my head spins because I bent down to get another pan from the cabinet.
I got a new cookbook for Christmas, Barefoot Contessa/Back to Basics. I flipped through it and I immediately knew I had to make Tuscan Lemon Chicken this weekend. It was SO good, and it came out looking just like the picture. I served the oven roasted vegetables from the book also. A nice lady at the Wegman's butcher counter wished me luck with the recipe, so maybe that's why it came out so well. I digress.
So, this morning, when the cold really got into full swing, I was clicking around the internet while I had my coffee, and I saw this recipe for a Spanish tortilla. I've always wanted to try this out, and I think when I've tried to make it before, I just ended up making potatoes O'Brien or home fries and scrambled eggs because I already knew how to do that. This time, I resisted the urge, and stuck to the recipe. It was so yummy. The potatoes were perfectly done and creamy, and flipping the tortilla was easier than I thought it would be. I served it on my cake platter. I think that next time I'll add something green, like thin pieces of asparagus. I didn't have any leftover from the oven roasted vegetables, though. Oh, and instead of the Spanish paprika, (because who has that?) I just used a little cayenne for color and a little spice.
I'm so glad I tried new recipes this weekend! Now, a hot shower and more Tylenol.
*Photos taken by my new iPhone!!!! Also a Christmas present: my cold, from le nephew. Thanks, E.

No comments: